PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, May 30, 2011

on this memorial day


so i have to say that today is the first year i've ever really thought about what this day really means

as a kid it was a warm day off of school that consisted of bbqs and possibly swimming

i knew it had something to do with the military but most of the time i would confuse memorial day and veterans day and could never remember which was which

as i got older i just never really thought about it. i didn't know many people who had been in the military and the ones close to me who had were out of the service long before i was even born

this year it hit much closer to home

because i never want to have to spend a memorial day remembering 

my husband's best friend,
one of my best friend's boyfriend,
my sorority sister's husband,
a girl i work with's father
a girl i used to work with,
the husband's of many wonderful friends i've met through blogging, twitter, and facebook,
the friends my husband has made at boot camp,
and the many more people we will undoubtedly meet and grow close to in the coming years,


and mostly, my husband

just thinking about it makes me cry


i pray that this day will never hit closer to home then is does now, but at the same time i know that there are many people out there experiencing all of those above loses, so i pray for them too

and hope that one day no one else will have to suffer with the loss of their loved one on this day or any other

i've seen the signs a million times but i've never so perfectly understood that the freedoms we have, cherish, and often take for granted truly are not free

thank you to all those who have served and continue to serve our country, and happy memorial day!

it does seem a little strange now to say happy memorial day, but i suppose you should be happy. this day shows us that time is valuable and possibly short so we should make the most of it

and i plan on doing that by writing a long letter to my husband, snuggling with my dog far to much and spending time with family and friends...at a bbq :)

1 comment:

Brooke T said...

I agree - none of these military holidays really sank in with me until I became a military girlfriend/fiance! and oh my goodness I am SO using that steven curtis chapman song... thank you so much!